Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Douglas Fir


Sleep lingers all our lifetime about our eyes, as night hovers all day in the boughs of the fir-tree. 
~Ralph Waldo Emerson 




I live the greatest life.
    Do you remember waking up at five in the morning? That magical time when waves, remembering that they are the ocean, return home. It was just low tide but, to me, it looked like a homecoming. 
  As the waves embarked on their journey home they would leave us treasures, agates. And with our sweatshirts, flashlights and black garbage bags, we also would embark on a journey. I loved every agate I laid eyes on. I held them in my hands and imagined all the stories they could tell. The ocean taught me so many lessons. The first being that there are riptides and those things are fucking scary. The forests of Oregon taught me. When I am feeling hopeless and angsty about the state of the world, I just image that we are all trees in a grand forest. It's a lot easier to deal with Donald Trump when Donald is an Aspen tree. 
   I live in the best forest with the five coolest trees. I wish so much that you knew them. That you had seem them grow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment